Followers

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Marilyn

Time for another challenge over at

Challenge 48
Autumn Colours

Welcome back to the IKEsWORLD challenges :)  do pop on over to IKEsWORLD to join in the challenge, just remember, you must use and IKEsART image to be eligible for the prize.  Why not pop on over to the store too :), Ike produces the most amazing stamps, everything from off the wall to cute and fluffy :) :) :)

Oh I have loved this challenge, I had an idea as soon as I saw it and it all came together just as I hoped.  For a long time now I have wanted to used the image Marilyn by Ike, it is not available in the IKEsART store but can be found here - Marilyn.


When planning this journal page I first hunted to find a quote by Marilyn which would be suitable.  I am trying to only use quotes or sayings for my kids journals which are thought provoking, help on the path to good living or turning a negative into a positive as I believe that is the best way to get over some of the things that really hurt us, a way to put them into a box as explained so life can continue without such heavy baggage.  I have found turning negatives into positives to be my salvation, for example :) without boring you lol - I had the most miserable time of my life in a convent boarding school from the age of 8 until I could escape aged 17.  I won't go into details but the experience left me shy, lacking confidence and really just wanting to find a hole to crawl into when I could be safe and not have to deal with life.  That however is not really me, from somewhere deep inside I fought back, that is the rebel non conforming me, the one who holds little respect for authority unless it is honest hahahaha.  Anyway, I was able after some time to look back on the experience and accept it as a positive by knowing it has shaped who I am now, how I deal with life now how I survive, how I remain unflappable and happy, yep her quote really is something I can relate to.  There are loads of other examples where I have used this technique to avoid sadness, hurt, disappointment etc, and for me it really works.

Oh dear, went off track there :) sorry.  Back to my journal, I found this wonderful quote by Marilyn which you can read further down the page but for now a quick step through of what I did.  I applied Gesso to my pages and then got to thinking about the text.  I am useless at hand writing and have been plying with ways to add text to journal pages other ways, so far having tried acetate, tissue and stamping, regular printer paper etc.  Today I have tried to print on the paper I plan to cover my journal pages with, some cheap fibre paper I picked up at The Range.  As you can see, my printer totally love it ahahaha, I needed tweezers to pull it out but was pleased to see it had actually printed the text the OK even if it would not eject it properly.  The concertina effect is quite cool but I don't want that am hoped stretching onto the glued page would sort that (I don't own an iron before you suggest I should have done that ).
 As you can see the gluing of the page to my book ironed out the wrinkles just fine hahaha.  Next I fussy cut the digi image, I am not colouring her as normal but going to air brush her when all the rest of the prep is done.  Added to the pages are skeleton leaves (Marilyn loved to go for walks in woods so that is an appropriate embellishment both in keeping with the challenge colours and the digi), metal flowers, metal LOVE tag and some silk leaves in Autumn colours.
I air-brushed the pages with several shades of yellow, orange and brown Promarkers including going over the metal embellishments.
 To the centre of the metal flowers I added crystals to represent diamonds - after all Marilyn sang 'Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend).
 Gold pen, more crystals and Crystal Stickles were used on the earrings.
 Here you can read the quote easily, I hope you will agree, it is a real cracker.
 After air brushing I added some bronze gilding wax to the edges of the pages and a blast of gold glitter spray for no other reason than I wanted to :)


Ingredients:-
  • Image - Marilyn by IKEsART
  • Colouring Medium - Promarkers
  • From my stash - skeleton leaves, gesso, silk leaves, metal flowers, metal love, gold glitter spray, Stickles, crystal gems, gilding wax
I am entering this project into the following challenges:-

26 comments:

  1. Oh my - that is just sooooo beautiful and a very interesting story MiMi. I don't think I could have lasted all those years in a convent school !!! :-( Glad you turned out kinda' "normal" anyways LoL :-D xxxxx

    Hugz
    IKE xxxxx

    My Challenge Blog
    My Shop
    My Blog
    FB Fan Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done and I love your positive journal idea. Thanks for joining us at the Mod Squad this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really beautiful journal page. Thank you for sharing it with us at Eureka Stamps.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. A GORgeous journal idea.. I LOve your colours too.
    Thank you so much for joining us this week at QKR Stampede.
    Chrissyxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous page, lovely autumn leaves.
    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts, good luck;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool journal page. Love the colours you used and all the embellishments. Thanks for joining us at the stamping boutique challenge blog -Annalisa (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous. Love the rich colour tones and the image. This is a very thought provoking sentiment - love it.
    Thank you for sharing this with us at Fussy and Fancy.
    Hugs Sharon. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful creation and stunning colours, very clever work.
    Thanks for joining in our Nature challenge this week at Allsorts and good luck.

    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my stars! This is so creative! LOVE IT!! Thanks so much for joining us at Robyn’s Fetish challenge! I hope you’ll come back again soon!
    Darlene
    Robyn’s Fetish DT
    Robyn’s Fetish
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally awesome, Love the skeleton leaves and the way you have created her earrings. TFS and joining us at Jo's for Funday Friday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love the verse & your page is just fabulous

    Thank you for sharing with us at Digital Delights, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful journaling! Love your Marilyn Monroe page spread! Thank you very much for sharing it with us at Mixed Media World! Ingrid X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous thank you for joining us at I love pro markers challenge blog all the best from Sharon Dt xxx have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a gorgeous journal page, beautiful autumn colours.
    Thank you for joining us at A Gem of a Challenge.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous make, love your words too. Thanks for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons.
    Hugs
    Fiona DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely project such great colours and words. Thank you for joining us at Crafting for All Seasons. Helen DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning card , thank you for entering the Digital delights challenge Lisa DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. absolutely stunning hun - Thank you for sharing with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

    Handcrafted by Ellapu
    Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
    Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
    DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit
    DT The Mirror Crack'd
    DT Anything but a Card

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Very creative!

    Thank you for participating in the last MelonHeadz Friends Challenge! I hope you'll participate again soon. We currently have "Halloween or Harvest Challenge" going on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful creation! Thank you for playing with us at Creative Moments

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow this is so lovely.
    Thanks for playing with us at Inspiration Destination.
    Good luck. xxx Michelle (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow this is out of this world, love love love it. Thank you for joining us at
    Star Stampz
    Hugggs Lori X x X

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, very well done, so creative. Thank you for joining us at I ♥ Promarkers this week and good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is gorgeous !
    Thank you for joining us at The crafty addicts !
    Good Luck and hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful page. Thanks for join us at Colouring in scrapland, good luck and hope to see you next time. Hugs Beatriz DT

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's wonderful how from our hurt and pain we can determine to make sure that the ones we love are never treated the same way! Good on you for looking for the positive and meaningful in your art! Your journal page glows and is lovely. Thank you for joining Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi